Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day

We had such a good Memorial Day weekend, one of the best I can remember.  I've kind of hated 3 day weekends since we moved to MN.  Most of them land on my busiest times with work and Ryan's work doesn't close for holidays, and without family around to celebrate with they just end up feeling all bleh and anticlimactic.

This weekend was different though.  We both had to work a little but the weather was absolutely gorgeous so we headed out to Lake Harriett where Lyla had the huge realization that chocolate ice cream is her favorite thing EVER.  She also partook in quite a bit of backyard skinny dipping, which is another new favorite.  I think I should also brag on the fact that Ryan did a TON of yard work.  He and Lyla even went out and bought and planted some purple petunias, and got an American flag hung out front. 

I would be remiss not to mention the reason we even have this holiday weekend.  I'm sure you all saw the pictures on Facebook reminding us that it's not about beer and BBQ.  There was one of a young mom crying and holding her son that really hit home for me.  I often complain about work or rugby or whatever else has made Ryan come home late, and the idea of these moms that are basically single moms for months at a time, or lose their husbands forever...I just can't even imagine.  I am forever grateful to live in this beautiful country and to all the brave ones that have sacrificed in one way or another to make it that way.

- K
















No comments:

Post a Comment