Monday, February 6, 2017

Five!

Our Lyla Rose is 5! The tiny baby with the perfectly round head that pooped all over me as soon as she came out (probably her favorite story of all times), screamed for her first bath and took to eating like a champ from the start.  The chubby legged baby that refused to grow hair and preferred 5 headbands at a time to just one.  The little pig tailed girl that waddled around in her diaper, yelling gibberish to anyone that would listen.  The one that had every word to every Frozen song memorized and refused to take off her Princess Anna dress.  Ever.  That girl is five!  And she's pretty quick to remind me that she's not a baby anymore! 

Each year gets a little easier to accept because I can see the fun that's ahead instead of simply mourning the baby I'm losing. But oh man, do I cherish those baby years.  Every once in a while I get these sweet flash backs and I can remember just what it was like to have my little 8lb baby laying in my arms, asleep.  Like today when we took a nap together and she wrapped my arm underneath her and snuggled her head into my chest.  I might as well have swaddled her right then and there, because there she was, my little newborn Lyla.

I don't know what we did to deserve a girl like Lyla.  She's not very gentle, or careful, or quiet, and more often than not I'm cleaning up some mess that's been left in her wake.  But she's also good and pure and kind.  She is the definition of beauty on the inside and out, and we couldn't be more proud of the little lady she is becoming.

Lyla, you are perfection.  We love you so!

XO
Mama 



She woke up like this.  Literally.  We had one of those "too excited to sleep" nights, and I think I got woken up hourly to see if it was time to open presents yet.  When we finally came in with her donut breakfast she was sleeping, fully dressed, with the lights on.


She's been begging for breakfast in bed for months, so she was pretty excited!


We woke Evie up to partake in the fun, which is always a dangerous sport.  A powdered sugar donut helped coax her out of her hibernation semi successfully.


This balloon was one of the biggest hits of the day!


Cutie little 5 year old!  Is it just me or does she actually look a little older?!


We met Dad for dinner at a hibachi restaurant.  She's wearing her new nightgown tucked into a skirt (#pickyourbattles) and had to get "their daughter", Samantha for the picture.  At home I've suddenly become the grandma while Lyla runs around calling her dad "Boo", and making him help take care of her doll.  :)


Eating some shrimp sushi!









She proclaimed this to be the best birthday and birthday dinner ever!  Breakfast in bed, cupcakes at school, presents and a fancy dinner.  What more could a girl want??  ;)

1 comment: